Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Three Basis

One day, a student rushed to his Master,

"Master, Master!!! There is someone in the village who is speaking many horrible things about and..."

"STOP!" replied the Master, as he continued calmly, "Is what you are about to tell me consists of the three basis?

"The three basis?"

"Yes," continued the Master,
"Number One, IS THIS TRUE? IS WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO TELL ME ABSOLUTELY TRUE?"

"Well, no" answered his disciple, "I heard this from a friend of mine."

The Master went on,
"Number Two; IS WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO TELL ME SOMETHING ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY TO TELL ME?"

"Well, not really..." said the student in a small voice.

"And lastly, the Third; DOES SOMEONE BENEFIT FROM YOU TELLING ME SOMEONE IS SPEAKING ILL REGARDING ME?"

"No, Master, nobody benefits from what I was about to say."

"Well then, my son, IF IT IS NOT TRUE, IF IT IS NOT ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, and IF NO ONE BENEFITS FROM THIS, then it will be wise for you to not speak of this matter. In fact, it is wisest never to speak at all if what you are about to say does not consist of these THREE BASIS."

This is one of my favorite philosophical anecdotes that really changed my life for the better regarding my relationship with everyone I know, especially the second one. I feel better about myself now that I do not say things which are not necessary or worth mentioning and this certainly changed the perspective of everyone around me in a more positive way.

So I ask all my readers, does what you are about to say consists of the THREE BASIS?
1. IS WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO SAY 100% TRUE?
2. IS WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO SAY ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY TO SAY?
3. DOES ANYBODY BENEFIT FROM WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO SAY?

Try applying this into your day-to-day life and you WILL see a positive improvement with many aspects of your life, especially your interactions with others!
What do you think of this anecdote?

No comments:

Post a Comment